Muscle Relaxant Injections
What are Muscle Relaxant Injections?
Muscle Relaxant Injections is a drug preparation, used medically to treat certain muscular conditions and cosmetically to remove wrinkles by temporarily paralyzing facial muscles.
Common Treatment Conditions:
Over time as your skin ages, repeated facial expressions can cause lasting fine lines and wrinkles. Muscle Relaxant Injections work by blocking nerve impulses to the muscle, causing them to relax. When injected into overactive facial muscles, your fine lines and wrinkles are softened and are greatly reduced to produce a more refreshed appearance.
Common cosmetic areas to correct fine lines and wrinkles:
Muscle Relaxant Injections can also be used to:
- Lift eyebrows and improve sagging eyelids
- Reduce neck bands
- Correct a “gummy smile” (where too much of the upper gingiva or gum is shown when smiling)
- Turn up the corners of the mouth to give a smiling appearance
- Reshape and narrow a large lower face (jaw line)
When injected properly, at strategic points, our results are very natural and patients continue to maintain normal facial movements. The procedure takes only minutes and the results can be seen within 3-4 days.
Hyperhidrosis is a condition characterized by abnormally increased sweating. Muscle Relaxant Injections have the ability to temporarily block the secretion of the chemical that is responsible for "turning on" the body's sweat glands. By blocking, or interrupting, this chemical messenger, Muscle Relaxant Injections "turns off" sweating at the area where it has been injected.
Common treatment areas:
Sweating can be stopped for 9-12 months in most patients. This treatment may be covered by private insurance*.
Muscle Relaxant Injections can also be used for medical conditions such as:
- Headaches/Migraines: Muscle Relaxant Injections can be used to treat patients with frequent headaches or migraines especially ones that are muscular in origin. This treatment may be covered by your private insurance*.
- Bruxism: Muscle Relaxant Injections can be used to treat patients that suffer from Bruxism or teeth grinding by treating the overactive muscles of the jaw. This treatment may be covered by your private insurance*.
What to expect from Muscle Relaxant Injections
Injections are non-surgical and typically completed during an office visit. Most patients describe a pinching feeling during the injection, though little to no pain. You will be able to resume your normal activities immediately following your treatment. However, your doctor may ask you to refrain from exercise or other strenuous activity, other restrictions may apply. It is common for some patients to experience mild redness, swelling, and bruising around the injection site. Muscle Relaxant Injections are usually every 4-6 months.
How to schedule a consult
To book your consultation for Muscle Relaxant Injections please contact our clinic at 514-788-3200 for Dr. Carey and 514-788-3300 for Dr. Wang.
*Because all Private Insurance plans differ it is your responsibility to check with your Private Insurance for coverage.